The vector graphics half-tone and raster tool Vectoraster has just been updated to v 7.1.7. If you're already a user you can just update from within the application, if not you can download it and try it out for free using the link below. If you're still using Vectoraster 6, this is a great time to upgrade for just $9.95.
Changes in 7.1.7
- Improved randomization algorithm to avoid artifacts and patterning in randomized rasters with a large number of of points. There?s an option to use the old random generator below the random seed setting in the document information panel.
- Changed to an SVG-based default custom shape file as EPS import has caused problems on some systems.
- Fixed a problem with compression artifacts appearing near edges when blurred sources where used for varied density raster patterns.
- Multi-threading stability improvements.
The iOS 3d dice rolling app Nice Dice has been updated and the new version is now available via the appstore.
The new version brings a couple of new features that lets you configure the interface and how you want to use the app. For example by introducing a new way of rolling dice by pressing a separate roll button instead of just tapping anywhere, and letting you hide more controls you many not be using in the rolling interface.
The update also tweaks and improves some aspects of locking and moving dice, as well as the dice collisions sounds and handling device gravity with changing device orientation.
The iOS and macOS password app Dotpass has been updated, and the new version is available on the appstore. The update fixes some small inconsistencies and keeps the app up to date under the hood.
Dotpass is a security solution for generating and keeping track of unique good passwords for all your accounts, without anything stored or transferred that can be hacked or lost.
A nice and comprehensive review of PatterNodes has been published over at CreatevePro.com.
Could be especially interesting to hear the reasoning on trying the software as a new user, interested in creating graphical patterns but unfamiliar with the node-based procedural approach.
Another small update patch was released today, fixing a bug where blurring non-square source images could result in a skewed output along with some other small improvements. Update or download today!
This update was originally released yesterday as 7.1.5, unfortunately this build had some stability problmes and has today been fixed and re-released as 7.1.6.
A new update to Vectoraster 7 has been released, and is now available to download for free or update from within the application.
With this update we're also cutting the price of upgrading from a previous version of Vectoraster to just $9.95. So if you're still using an earlier version of Vectoraster, this is a great time to upgrade.Changes in 7.1.4
- You can now quickly use the mouse scroll wheel to edit values in value fields.
- Fixes some problems with pasting in vector custom point shapes from Illustrator.
- Added new option to gradient sources to maintain the aspect of the rendered gradient when used in non-square raster artboards, instead of scaling it to fit.
- Fixes to make sure the source image size and document size dialogues show sizes in the correct length units.
Seems like the physics simulation in the last version of the iOS dice rolling app Nice Dice was a little too realistic, in the sense that the dice could fly off the table if you shook your device too much.
The new version hopefully fixes this, and also adds a new interface setting letting you lock the interface to portrait mode on the iPhone version (or not).
Today a new small update to Vectoraster has been released and is available for free download or update from within the app.
The update fixes some stability issues, fixes some issues for first-time users and adds the new feedback dialogue recently added to PatterNodes. So now getting in touch with suggestions, praise, complaints or bugreports will hopefully be a smoother process.
Today a new update patch to the parametric pattern creation software Patternodes has been released, you can download it for free or use the update feature in the application to update.Changes in version 1.8.4
- Fixes a bug where exported animated GIFs would not loop properly in some browsers.
- Fixes some problems with resizing of preview and note nodes.
- Improved feedback and bug-reporting dialogue for users not using the Apple Mail client.
- Added links to lostminds.com support and Patternodes 2 beta testing information to the Help menu.
This will likely be the last update of Patternodes 1.x.x, as the next big update Patternodes 2 is now in development.
If you want to help beta test the new version or find out more, you can do so at lostminds.com/patternodes/beta_testing.php.
EDIT: This update was initially released as 1.8.3, but that build had some problems so it was rolled back fixed and re-released as 1.8.4.
Another small update has been released for Vectoraster 7 with a couple of bugfixes and improvements. Just update from within the application or click below to download the latest version.Changes in 7.1.2
- Improved handling of source images with transparency.
- Fixes a bug where using pdf or eps files as your source image could cause a crash.
- Some convenience improvements when dragging or pasting source images or custom point shapes into Vectoraster.
- A new user setting that when enabled removes the source image blur filter when a new source image is imported, to avoid confusion.
The lostminds.com website has now been given a bit of an overhaul. Most of the work has been under the hood, but the front end has also been updated a little to work better on mobile and be quicker to navigate.
Most things should still be in the same place, and old links should still work or be re-directed automatically. But there are sure to be a couple of little quirks and broken links left in that we'll fix in the coming days. So if you run into something like that, please be patient.
Today small update was released for Vectoraster 7 with a couple of fixes to hopefully make your Vectoraster experience even smoother.Fixes in 7.1.1
- Stroke rendering of line rasters now properly uses the stroke color instead of fill color.
- Fixed some bugs with basing raster point colors on a source image with an applied blur effect.
- Some interface bug-fixes related to replacing the image of an existing raster source image.
Today new more substantial update for Vectoraster 7 was released. It is available to download and try for free, or you can update from within the application if you already use it.New features and improvements in 7.1.0
- You can now dynamically blur source images you base your rasters on with a nondestructive blur parameter.
- Improved multi-scale tool with new options to scale only points or pattern parameters, and to scale the raster pattern from the center to maintain symmetry.
- New raster pattern align tool to quickly align the offset and spacing of the raster to line up the points exactly with the edges or center. Available in the Raster Utilities menu.
- You can now show sources behind the raster in the preview or exports with an opacity parameter for blending.
- Updated Sparkle update code.
The dice roller app Nice Dice has just been updated and the new version is available for iPhone and iPad on the Apple app store. The new version adds the ability to roll dice of two materials at the same time, with separate totals calculated for each. It also improves the dice picker and presents interfaces, that now also show the current dice materials.
To celebrate the new release the app will be free to download, with all content, for a limited time. So check it out now!
Today another update for Vectoraster 7 was released. It is available to download and try for free, or you can update from within the application if you already use it.
The new version adds some new text raster improvements and fixes some problems related to mac OS 10.12 Sierra. This will hopefully also solve the problems some new users on Sierra were having with unlocking the full version.Changes in 7.0.9
- New Text baseline pivot option in the Transformation panel, letting you make nicer text rasters with character point shapes aligned on the baseline.
- Fixes some mac OS 10.12.x (Sierra) problems
Vectoraster 7 unlocking problems
It seems that something got broken in the recent 7.0.7 update, causing problems for some new users to unlock the full version after purchase. If you're having this problem with a "Null" error message, use the "Send feedback/bug report"-item in the Help menu to contact support and get help unlocking.
The problem only seems to affect some users who are trying to unlock the full version for the first time on 7.0.7 or 7.0.8, existing registered users can safely go ahead to update. Sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully we'll get a new update out soon fixing the problem.
Today a new free update patch for the vector halftone and raster pattern tool Vectoraster 7 was released. It is available to download for free or you can update from within the application.
The new version adds some new functionality to the raster distortions, including greater randomization control shown above, and fixes some bugs.Changes in 7.0.8
- The Randomize distortion now has a single direction mode, where you can randomize the points in a single direction specified by angle instead.
- The Wave distortion now has an angle parameter, letting you set an angle for the waves separate to the raster rotation.
- Some improved diagnostics and error checking code.
- Improved stability on mac OS 10.9.x
Today a small update of Vectoraster was released with a couple of changes and improvements.
- Improvements to custom vector shape parsing, including basic SVG support.
- Manual and sample files are now embedded in the application bundle, accessible via the Help menu, instead of being placed in the application folder.
- Some minor interface and stability improvements.
Today a new update to the procedural vector graphics and pattern creation tool PatterNodes has been released.Changes in version 1.8.2
- Added basic (slightly experimental) support for importing SVG custom vector shapes.
- Improved support for importing EPS custom vector shapes exported from Sketch.
- Fixes a bug where adding a value node (like Multiply) on a value connection would sometimes result in an extra faulty node connection.
- Fixes some interface bugs with scroll bars in the Node Editor view.
Vectoraster 6 discontinued
A new small update to Vectoraster 7 was released today. It's a free update and the new version adds two new options to flip or invert the exported raster, useful when creating printing screens. It also fixes a bug where importing raster files from Vectoraster 5 or earlier would get the wrong raster size.
Looking for a new solution for handling all your passwords? Maybe you got one of your accounts hacked and realized you use the same password for a lot of others?
Then DotPass (iOS and Mac) might be a good fit for you! Especially if you also like pretty patterns. And now you can take a look at these reviews to get a second opinion:
Today a new smaller update to the node-based vector graphics application PatterNodes has been released.Changes in version 1.8.1
- Improved the random value node so that you can now specify increments/steps for the random values to be rounded to, like even multiples of 45 or 90 for angles.
- Greatly improved responsiveness and memory management while exporting large/long animations.
- Added a new warning message for when a node scales the output graphics to 0 size, making it disappear, which can be confusing in some cases and usually unintentional.
Download packages updated
We've now updated the new signed download .dmg packages a little to resolve some problems and provide a smoother installation process.
If you were having problems downloading the Vectoraster 7.0.5 update the last few days, sorry about that and please try again now.
Today a new free update to the vector raster graphics and pattern application Vectoraster 7 was released.Changes in version 7.0.5
- The new 'Intersecting lines' raster pattern replaces the previous 'Random lines' one, letting you make line raster grids with crossing lines as well as adding controlled randomization of the lines. This also fixes some bugs with offsetting the old random lines pattern.
- New 'Spiral' raster pattern, similar to the radial raster, but with the points in a single spiraling line. Great for line rasters.
- Further improvements to parsing custom vector point shapes.
- Smaller .VRaster file sizes by compressing large embedded source images.
Today a new free update to the node-based vector graphics and pattern design application PatterNodes was released. The update adds a whole slew of smaller improvements and bugfixes aimed at making the software smoother to use and improving integration for copying and pasting vector graphics in/out of PatterNodes.Changes in version 1.8.0
- Improvements to pasting in vector graphics. PatterNodes will now attempt to extract information about stroke, fill and size to create a similar custom shape node if possible. There's also a new setting in the preferences if you prefer vector graphics to be pasted in as an image node instead.
- The feature to automatically connect newly added element nodes is now a little smarter, connecting new element nodes to existing nodes where there is an empty Graphics socket if there is one. If not, the new node is connected directly to the output and the element is centered in the tile to be more visible.
- Adding a new Array Split node on a connection now automatically connects both the A and B graphical outputs for you.
- There is now a new Export setting where you can set if you want the copied output tile to be scaled to the current preview display scaling or not, as well as set if you want the copied vector output to be in mm or points.
- Fixes a bug where element previews would sometimes render offset vertically on retina display systems.
- Improvements to parsing custom vector graphics that are not closed shapes.
- Fixes a rendering bug where imported vector graphics images would sometimes be rendered at low resolution in the preview if they were rotated.
- Clicking a file export completed notification in the notification center now opens the enclosing folder in Finder so you can easily find the file.
- Zoom changes and animation in full screen preview mode now properly respects if the repetition display opacity is set to 0.
- Changed some warning messages to make more sense and be shown at more appropriate times.
Special thanks for all the input from the participants of the PatterNodes workshop at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy.
Today another small update of Vectoraster 7 was released, with some more fixes and improvements based on user feedback:
- There is now a new Random seed parameter for each document that can be found in the document info panel. Changing this changes all random values in the raster to new ones if you want to try a different randomization.
- Changed random varied density raster pattern slightly to avoid pattern striping in rasters with a lot of points.
- The point removal size limit parameter is now scaled along with the other size parameters when using the Multi-scale tool.
- Notification center message when file export completes, click it to show the new file in Finder.
- Hue adjustments parameters for fill and stroke color are now in degrees in a +/-360 range instead of +/-1.
As always with big releases some little bugs make it through the testing. Today a small update to Vectoraster 7 was released fixing a couple of small such problems. Mainly with printing directly from Vectoraster not working and some interface layout scaling issues.
Happy rastering, have a nice weekend and stay tuned for future more feature-rich updates based on all the wonderful feedback and ideas we've got from you all after the release of Vectoraster 7.
New signed downloads to fix macOS 10.12 problems
Due to some users having problems with the little known new App Translocation security feature of macOS 10.12 we're now offering our downloads for PatterNodes and Vectoraster 7 as signed disk images instead of plain zip-archives.
To simplify it a little macOS10.12 basically doesn't trust software downloaded away from the AppStore, and when you launch such software it secretly moves the application to a random read-only location where it then runs from. This means it can't update (so you'll get errors about being on a read-only volume if you try to look for new versions) and it can't find included Sample files, as those are not moved along with it. So if you're having these problems on 10.12, App Translocation is probably the culprit.
Depending on your setup, the new signed downloads should be considered trusted by the system and not subjected to this quarantine. So downloading again and installing from the disk image should fix the problem.
If you don't want to re-download or it still doesn't fix the problem another work-around seems to be to simply drag the downloaded application (not the entire folder) to your Applications folder (or any other folder on your mac) and launch it from there. This seems to take the application out of quarantine and tell the system you trust this software to run where it is.