SketchFighter 4000 Alpha
If you're interested in Patternodes and want to get started with some basics there's now a tutorial with an introduction to animation in Patternodes over at Generative Hut. Just click below!
A new version of the pattern creation and animation app Patternodes 2 has been released. This new update add support for encoding exported videos in h.264 codec for improved compression, and all export settings are now saved per file. The update also fixes a couple of interface bugs and layout issues in the built in node reference.
You can find the full change log in the version history. Download the new version and try it out today, or update in the app.
A new version of the pattern creation and animation app Patternodes 2 has been released. It seems like the performance optimizations in Patternodes 2.3.0 caused a couple of bugs with the previews flickering or not updating correctly and the new update mainly focusses on fixing those problems.Version 2.3.1 changes and improvements
- Fixes flickering or lack of updates in the main preview in some situations.
- Fixes a bug where the selection markers wouldn't update properly after deleting multiple nodes.
- Fixes node previews not updating correctly when graphic input is removed or the node is disabled.
- Node element caching is now always on instead of being a performance option.
- Adds deprecation warnings shown when using some legacy node types, along with a new option to turn these warnings off.
- Improvements to the Feedback dialogue technical info logs
A new version of Patternodes 2 has been released. This new updates adds some new features with new functionality related to animation and randomization nodes, but primarily it brings a lot of performance improvements and bug fixes. The update also fixes a couple of issues related to working on a retina mac and some problems importing legacy files from Patternodes 1.Version 2.3.0 changes and improvements
- Greatly improved performance especially for working with animations and files with many elements.
- New Plateau Animated value function making it easier to make interesting animations where a value transitions between two constant levels.
- New Randomize Deep Change option in Group Randomize and Randomize Color nodes for applying individual changes to all sub elements without needing to flatten the group first.
- You can now rename Color nodes just like Value nodes.
- New setting for default new document size.
- New setting to include a set of default nodes or not in new documents.
- Improvements to editing values of linked node parameters.
- Connection context menu now shows total number of sub elements in multi-level groups.
- Fixes fullscreen preview being incorrectly scaled on retina screens.
- Fixes a potential hang when importing some legacy Patternodes 1 files.
- Fixes long delay when closing files with a lot of pattern elements.
- Fixes importing legacy Patternodes 1 files Randomize and Randomize Color nodes.
- Improved performance importing legacy Patternodes 1 files.
- Fixes a bug where the bottom pattern preview view would be the wrong size after closing the separate preview panel.
- Fixes a bug where drag offset markers wouldn't be properly updated when opening or closing the separate preview panel.
- Fixes incorrect total update times in the render info panel.
The original 2.2.9 update to Patternodes had a bug in it that prevented new created unconnected nodes from displaying correctly. So now there's a quick fix 2.2.91 version available that fixes this problem. Thanks to everyone who reported this problem right away so we could fix it quickly!
Another update to the pattern creation and animation app Patternodes has been released. This time the focus is on fixing some bugs reported by users along with improving the memory management.Version 2.2.9 changes
- You can now pan around the node graph by dragging with middle mouse button.
- Improved memory management.
- Fixes animation export as numbered PDF files.
- Fixes problem with properly loading some connections to Change node selection parameters.
- Fixes Element index menu node icons being the wrong size.
The pattern creation and animation app Patternodes has been updated again. This time mostly a bunch of smaller tweaks and improvements.Version 2.2.8 changes
- Added/fixed support for importing many more image formats, including photoshop psd, tga, raw and more.
- Improvements to the Finder Quick Look file .pnds previews.
- Improved interface performance.
- Additional license information is now available from the About window.
- Improved connection security and handling of network problems during license syncing.
- Rendering info statistics panel is now an overlay in the main preview instead os a separate panel.
A new update for the vector graphics pattern and animation tool Patternodes 2 is now available for download. This new updates brings some new features and improvements to the Text node and Clipping mask node, as well as numerous other small fixes and improvements.Version 2.2.7 changes
- Improved Text element node with support for dynamic value based text and a new Text box mode with for better aligning and layout control. NOTE: This may mean some layout changes are needed for files using the old text node multi-line mode.
- Improved Clipping mask node now has an invert option that lets you use what's outside the clipping mask instead, and can be used to remove existing clipping paths.
- Math nodes now resize automatically to fit longer formulas.
- Fixes a bug where clicking out of the Artboard node size fields would revert values instead of applying changes.
- Leaving value fields empty now set them to 0 instead of showing a formula parsing error.
- Fixes a couple of issues with importing legacy Patternodes 1 files.
- Fixes bug with renaming artboard layers in some situations.
- Fixed a bug where the animation duration would initially be incorrect when loading longer animation files.
- You can now access pictures from your Photos albums when browsing to import graphics.
- Improved performance.
A new update for Patternodes 2 is now available for download. This is a smaller update that primarily improves artboard layer management and node reference, but it also fixes some interface issues on macOS 10.13.Version 2.2.6 changes
- Artboard layer management. You can now add, remove, rename and rerorder the layers in the Artboard node.
- Fixes a bug causing node connections to render incorrectly on macOS 10.13.
- Fixes and improvements to the Node reference interface.
- Fixes a bug with the menu items for selecting linked nodes were disabled.
Another update for Patternodes 2 is now available for download. This version add two new nodes, Distribute and Pack, to let you work with spacing for elements in a group. For example useful if you first want to to some controlled randomizing of the lements, and then space the elements in a controlled way based on their new positions or sizes. Along with this the update also brings another set of fixes and improvements to various other areas of the application. Enjoy!Version 2.2.5 changes
- New Group Pack node letting you pack elements in a group horizontally or vertically with a set margin.
- New Group Distribute node letting you distribute elements in a group evenly horizontally or vertically.
- Fixes some graphical glitches in the preview view on high zoom on macOS 10.14.
- Better feedback when value fields fail to parse expressions or parameter formulas.
- Fixes some bugs with preview display scale after exporting.
- Smoother opening/closing of the separate preview panel.
- More improved node warning messages and warnings interface components.
- Better handling of problems when loading corrupted/unsupported and legacy files.
- Fixes some incorrect descriptions in the node reference.
Patternodes 2 has been updated and the new version is now available for download. This version adds a couple of small improvements, but mainly fixes a couple or bugs and problems related to importing and pasting in graphics from other apps to use in Patternodes.Version 2.2.4 changes
- The Grid repeater node now offers a grid height output socket in hex grid mode to make it easier to make seamless hex grids.
- The Element list node now supports input of up to 20 different elements instead of 10.
- Improvements to pasting/dragging graphics into the node graph.
- Fixes a bug where multiple pasted/imported graphics with the same name could be replaced with the same graphic when loading a file.
- Fixes some selection outline problems.
- Fixes a bug where exporting with a transparent background could instead export a solid black background.
Another update of Patternodes 2 is now available for download. This version adds a new group Explode node, that makes it easy to move group elements in relation to their center (pivot), and greatly improves the inline warning messages interface to make it easier to understand when something is going wrong and how to fix it.Version 2.2.3 changes
- New Group Explode node A new node that makes it easy to move elements in a group away from or towards the group pivot point.
- Better warnings UI Improved inline interface for node warning messages and more warnings.
- Smart initial node values Value and color nodes created by dragging from a parameter input socket now start out with the socket value.
- Fixed a bug with element nodes created by dragging from Artboard node sockets getting double connections.
- Added link to the lost code form in license code entry interface.
Another update of Patternodes 2 is now available for download, with further bug fixes and focus on usability improvements and expanding the dynamic elements and parameters features.
Most noticable is the new way you can quickly add new nodes connected to a parameter by simply dragging out a connection from the parameter and letting go in the editor. This will then let you select a new node to add, connected to the parameter. For example, it makes it very easy to say a parameter should be controlled by an animated or random value.
For more advanced users this update also makes some changes to how repeaters apply their spacing and transofrmations parameters, making it possible to use dynamic values to change the spacing based on for example row or repeater index.Version 2.2.2 changes.
Patternodes now requires macOS 10.11 or later.
- Quicker node creation You can now add new nodes by simply draggin out a connection from any node socket and releasing.
- Repeater nodes dynamic offsets (Repeat Transform, Grid and Radial) now work better with dynamic offset/scaling/rotation parameter values.
- You can now zoom in the preview with trackpad pinch gestures.
- Improvements to retaining node connections when changing node types.
- Fixed some undo/redo bugs related to changing connections.
- Fixed Artboard node set size preset menu shortcuts.
- Fixed Artboard node background opacity not updating correctly with connected values.
- Apple application notarization (New Apple security requirements).
- Improvements to update checking.
- Updates to sample files. (Available from the Help menu)
Another update of Patternodes 2 is now available for download. The main focus of this update is further usability improvements to make it easier to work with and understand the software. One big improvement is you can now drag and drop files into the node editor or into import nodes, and life will be a little easier for one-button mouse users as you can now use either left or right click on connections to access the connection menu.
Most of the changes however relate in one way or the other to the dynamic repeater elements feature, and aim at making this easier to use and understand. Now all repeater indexes will be available all the time, and dynamic elements will be enabled by default if you connect repeater or element parameters to something dynamic (like an index or random value). The connection previews also now show the number of iterations generated for dynamic elements that are generated multiple times.Version 2.2.1 changes.
- Drag and drop support for importing files into the node editor or into an existing Element Import node.
- Left-click now also brings up the connection context menus, with better visual hover feedback.
- Fixes and improvements to dynamic element repeater functionality.
- You can now zoom the preview with option (alt) scroll wheel, and you can scroll a little beyond the edge of your artboard.
- The node connection preview now shows number of generations for dynamic elements.
- Fixes some undoing/redoing bugs.
- Improved performance and memory management.
- The Custom Loop repeater node is deprecated and will soon be removed (use other repeater dynamic elements and indexes instead).
The recent influx of new Patternodes 2 users has meant a lot of new feedback and bug-reports have been coming in. So here's another update of Patternodes 2with further improvements and fixes. I think all users will notice some nice usability improvements when it comes to handling connections, previews and adding nodes on connections.
While perhaps a little technical the most exiting to me is probably the new method for re-using random parameter values in dynamic elements by linking to parameters using random values. For example assigning a random size to elements and then assigning an opacity based on the size like in the example above.Version 2.2.0 changes.
- Improvements to adding and removing nodes on value or color connections.
- Improvements to connection preview (right-click connections) for graphics connections and color connections.
- You can now reuse the same random value by linking one parameter to a random value node, and then others to that parameter. A new sample file 'Reusing random values' showing this added.
- The Group Arrange node can now be applied to selected elements only and move these to the front or back of the group.
- In all change nodes apply to random selection now lets you offset this random selection.
- Re-structured and cleaned up the preferences panel, removing some old redundant settings.
- Updates to manual and sample files (Find them in the Help menu).
- Fixes a bug with the Align node align group elements left and top.
- Fixes a bug where math nodes converted from other value nodes would not work properly.
- Fixes a bug where automatic spacing calculations would not update automatically when the artboard size was changed by a connected value node.
- Fixes interface problems for macOS 10.14 users with dark mode.
A new version of the node-based vector pattern and animation design application Patternodes has been released. The new version adds a bunch of small additions, fixes and improvements, and is now available as a free update for all users.Version 2.1.9 changes.
- The Arc wedge shape in the Element Shape Node can now be given an inner diameter.
- Rounded polygons and Star shapes in the Element Shape node can now get pointy negative rounding.
- Added support for relative adjustments in the Change Opacity and Change Stroke nodes.
- New context menu shortcuts on the Artboard node to apply preset artboard sizes.
- Improvements to node connection usability.
- Improvements to node placement when adding new nodes on connections.
- Fixes a bug with the Group Apply Function node, pivot distance mode for groups of element groups.
- Fixes a bug with incorrect first regeneration when toggling dynamic elements off and on in repeater nodes.
- Apple Hardened runtime security features.
Today another update of Patternodes has been released. The new version adds some improvements for finder previews (like icon thumbnails and sharper vector-previews for less complex graphics), and fixes some bugs. Update from within the application or download the new version and try it out free using the link below.Version 2.1.8 changes
- Improvements to Finder previews and thumbnails for .pnds files.
- Fixes some problems with SVG exports.
- Fixes a rare network full version unlocking bug.
A new version of the node-based vector pattern and animation design application Patternodes has been released. The new version fixes a couple of bugs and adds some minor interface tweaks, but the main change is an overhaul of the rendering back-end. This should result in better performance and stability, and a more stable foundation to build future update on.Version 2.1.7 changes.
- Performance improvements with new multithreaded rendering backend.
- Improvements to preview zooming and panning.
- You can now click/drag in animated value node graphs to change the current animation time.
- New and updated sample files (accessed from Help menu).
- Fixes some bugs with element clipping path rendering.
- Fixes some bugs with group-index based generation.
- Fixes some control clipping bugs on macOS 10.14.
Today a new update to the graphic pattern and animation tool Patternodes 2 was released. The new version is available for download here on the site for new users, or as an update in the application for existing users.Version 2.1.6 changes.
- Imported SVG image elments can now be used in Image mode as well as Path mode.
- Further improved SVG vector path importing.
- Updates to license entry and trial-mode interfaces.
Today a new update to the node-based vector graphics tool Patternodes 2 was released with some new features, fixes and improvements.Version 2.1.5 changes.
- New Repeat Mirror node that mirrors and clips elements to with one or more mirror planes.
- Improved SVG vector path importing.
- Exported MPEG4 animations now get the default file extesion .mp4 instead of .mepeg4.
- Fixes some problems caused by setting a 0x0 artboard size.
- Fixes node preview display bug with element performance caching disabled.
- Improved diagnostics for some installation and network problems.
The node-based parametric vector pattern and animation tool Patternodes 2 is now on sale, 50% off the regular price during August. So if you're looking for something new to try out during those long (or too short) summer days, now's a great time to check it out.
Patternodes has now been updated to version 2.1.3. This update fixes some compatibility problems with macOS 10.11 and earlier, and fixes a bug with misalignment of selection outlines on retina macs.
Update problems on macOS 10.10 and 10.11
We've had some reports regarding problems with the latest updates of Vectoraster 7 and Patternodes 2 on systems running macOS 10.11 or earlier.
While we're working on fixing these we've rolled back the initial download versions here on the site to the previous versions, and restricted updates to users with macOS 10.12 or later. This means the users with macOS 10.12 or later can still update and everything should work fine, but users with earlier macOS version can still use the products until the problem is fixed so they can update too.
Today another update to Patternodes 2 was released. This update brings some additional usability improvements and bugfixes.Version 2.1.2 changes.
- Math node formulas now let you edit constants in formulas using the hover control sliders, steppers etc like regular values.
- Improvements to node index selection controls.
- Improvements to version checking and updating.
- Improvements to purchase/unlock dialogue.
- Added selected artboard outline.
- Fixed a bug with Group Apply Function node element selection offsets.
- Fixed a bug with adding clipping masks to transformed element groups.
Today a new smaller update to Patternodes 2 was released. This update primarily fixes a couple of bugs in the 2.1.0 release. The new version also adds a new feature that highlights elements in the preview created or modified my the currently selected node. This doesn't affect export and you can turn it off in the settings if you don't want it, but hopefully it'l make it easier for everyone to keep track of what nodes apply to what elements.
A new update to Patternodes 2 has now been released. This update adds a lot of new features making the dynamic elements and element index features more powerful, as well as adding a lot of other improvements along with a new Align node and some bug fixes.Version 2.1.0 changes.
- New Element Index node lets you access different repeater indexe values (like Row, Column etc) when using repeaters with dynamic elements enabled.
- New Align node lets you align elements in relation to the artboard or internally in a group.
- New Element list node allowing you to use different alternative elements in a dynamic repeater pattern.
- Improved Value List and Color List nodes, with built in element index modes and a new index offset parameter great for animating random or index-based value sets.
- Node connections now have drag handles at both ends by default, and there a new setting to control what ends have handles.
- The Repeat Transform node now has an Auto spacing mode, calculating spacing based on count and total repetition area similar to the Repeat Grid node.
- Option to skip frames in animation previews when rendering is slow.
- Math formula parameter fields can now be edited while a preview animation is running, just like value fields.
- Fixes a bug that could cause the value parameter hover controls to disappear in some situations.
- Fixes a bug that could cause tinted bitmap image elements to render at low resolution.
- Fixes a bug with pivot point adjustments for element groups.
Another update of the vector pattern and animation application Patternodes 2 has been released. Primarily the new version adds SVG export support, but also fixes some bugs:Version 2.0.5 changes
- Adds SVG format export support, including animated SVG export of animations(!).
- Improved image quality (lower compression) in MOV and MPEG4 animation exports.
- Fixes a bug with centering arc path elements in the Change Pivot node.
- Fixes a bug with the Apply Function node horizontal/vertical mode used on rotated groups.
A new update of the vector pattern and animation application Patternodes 2 has been released with the couple of fixes and improvements:
- Fixes a scaling bug in MOV, MPEG4 and GIF animation exports on retina macs.
- Improved node illustrations and descriptions in the built-in node reference guide.
- Some smaller fixes and adjustments in node interfaces.
Today a small bug-fix update for the newly released Patternodes 2 has been published.Version 2.0.2 changes.
- Fixes some stability problems.
- Fixes a bug with the Make Seamless repeater in Demo mode on retina displays.
- Fixes a bug where pasting copied nodes from Patternodes 1 could cause problems.
- Improved node editor scrolling when dragging close to the edge.
The second generation of the mac vector pattern design and animation application Patternodes has now been released. Click below for more information, or download and try it out for free now!Main changes and new features of Patternodes 2
- Fewer more versitile nodes. Many node types have been combined into more capable ones. This will let you do more with fewer nodes and make it easier to try new things and play around with the software without having to replace or add new nodes.
- Improved usability. Many improvements to make the basic tasks of editing values and working with nodes and connections smoother and quicker.
- New artboard node with layers. The old document and output nodes have been combined into a single Artboard output node with multiple output layers along with artboard size and settings.
- Language and naming changes. Many concepts have been renamed to be more in line with industry standards and/or common language to make them easier to understand. For example, the old Transform nodes are now called Change nodes and the old Array Elements are now simply called Groups.
- Change node apply-modes. Most of the nodes changing graphics (like changing color or transformation) now have built in support to toggle between applying their change to the group, each individual element in the group, or a selected subset of elements in the group. This replaces many array operation nodes and removes the need for a lot of splitting and combining you had to do in Patternodes 1.
- More powerful nodes. More or less every node, for creating shapes, transforming or repeating elements have had little additions and improvements to enable new uses and improve existing functionality.
- Improved animation exports. Support for exporting longer animations at higher resolutions in more formats.
For more details see the Version history
The second generation of the macOS procedural graphics design and pattern creation tool Patternodes is now in beta testing. The new version will be an overhaul of more or less everything in the application, with new features and improvements across the board.
You can read more about Patternodes 2 by clicking below. And if you like what you read you can sign up to be notified when it's released.
A nice and comprehensive review of PatterNodes has been published over at CreatevePro.com.
Could be especially interesting to hear the reasoning on trying the software as a new user, interested in creating graphical patterns but unfamiliar with the node-based procedural approach.