Another update of Patternodes 2 is now available for download, with further bug fixes and focus on usability improvements and expanding the dynamic elements and parameters features.
Most noticable is the new way you can quickly add new nodes connected to a parameter by simply dragging out a connection from the parameter and letting go in the editor. This will then let you select a new node to add, connected to the parameter. For example, it makes it very easy to say a parameter should be controlled by an animated or random value.
For more advanced users this update also makes some changes to how repeaters apply their spacing and transofrmations parameters, making it possible to use dynamic values to change the spacing based on for example row or repeater index.Version 2.2.2 changes.
Patternodes now requires macOS 10.11 or later.
- Quicker node creation You can now add new nodes by simply draggin out a connection from any node socket and releasing.
- Repeater nodes dynamic offsets (Repeat Transform, Grid and Radial) now work better with dynamic offset/scaling/rotation parameter values.
- You can now zoom in the preview with trackpad pinch gestures.
- Improvements to retaining node connections when changing node types.
- Fixed some undo/redo bugs related to changing connections.
- Fixed Artboard node set size preset menu shortcuts.
- Fixed Artboard node background opacity not updating correctly with connected values.
- Apple application notarization (New Apple security requirements).
- Improvements to update checking.
- Updates to sample files. (Available from the Help menu)
The vector halftone and pattern app Vectoraster 7 has been updated again today. This time it's mostly just a fix of a bug in the previous 7.4.0 update that caused point fill and stroke color controls to be disabled incorrectly in some cases. Sorry about that! This new update also updates the Sample files included along with Vectoraster 7 (you can find them in the Help menu), so if you haven't taken a look at them yet this could be a good time to do so.Changes in 7.4.1
- Fixes a bug where Point fill and stroke color wells would be disabled.
- Updates to sample files (Available from the Help menu).
The vector halftone and pattern app Vectoraster 7 has been updated today. The new version adds three new source combinations modes letting you use a combination of multiple sources to vary any raster or point parameter. For example using data from an image combined with a dynamic gradient to set the point size as shown in the example above.
Along with this there are also a bunch of bug fixes and smaller interface improvements to make Vectoraster easier to use.Changes in 7.4.0
- Adds new combined sources mode for all variable parameters, letting you control them with a combination of multiple sources.
- Adds a new toggle button to quickly enable/disable Raster pattern distortions without removing them.
- You can now zoom with mouse option-scroll wheel or trackpad pinch gestures.
- Improvements to interface and preview rendering.
- Apple application notarization (New Apple security requirements).
- Fixes a bug with undo/redo of some raster pattern distortion properties.
- Fixes a bug with linear gradient sources with small sizes.
- Fixes a bug in the Align raster to edges utility.
Another update of Patternodes 2 is now available for download. The main focus of this update is further usability improvements to make it easier to work with and understand the software. One big improvement is you can now drag and drop files into the node editor or into import nodes, and life will be a little easier for one-button mouse users as you can now use either left or right click on connections to access the connection menu.
Most of the changes however relate in one way or the other to the dynamic repeater elements feature, and aim at making this easier to use and understand. Now all repeater indexes will be available all the time, and dynamic elements will be enabled by default if you connect repeater or element parameters to something dynamic (like an index or random value). The connection previews also now show the number of iterations generated for dynamic elements that are generated multiple times.Version 2.2.1 changes.
- Drag and drop support for importing files into the node editor or into an existing Element Import node.
- Left-click now also brings up the connection context menus, with better visual hover feedback.
- Fixes and improvements to dynamic element repeater functionality.
- You can now zoom the preview with option (alt) scroll wheel, and you can scroll a little beyond the edge of your artboard.
- The node connection preview now shows number of generations for dynamic elements.
- Fixes some undoing/redoing bugs.
- Improved performance and memory management.
- The Custom Loop repeater node is deprecated and will soon be removed (use other repeater dynamic elements and indexes instead).
The vector halftone and pattern app Vectoraster 7 has been updated today. The new version fixes some bugs and adds some small improvements, while also updating some under-the-hood frameworks to the latest version in preparation for the 7.4 update which is planned to bring some more substantial new features.Changes in 7.3.8
- Preferences panel reorganized.
- Fixes some bugs related to changing document artboard size.
- Fixes a bug with raster distortion strengths in imported Vectoraster 6 files.
- Parameter interface layout tweaks.
- Updates to frameworks for updates, license handling and general macOS support.
The recent influx of new Patternodes 2 users has meant a lot of new feedback and bug-reports have been coming in. So here's another update of Patternodes 2with further improvements and fixes. I think all users will notice some nice usability improvements when it comes to handling connections, previews and adding nodes on connections.
While perhaps a little technical the most exiting to me is probably the new method for re-using random parameter values in dynamic elements by linking to parameters using random values. For example assigning a random size to elements and then assigning an opacity based on the size like in the example above.Version 2.2.0 changes.
- Improvements to adding and removing nodes on value or color connections.
- Improvements to connection preview (right-click connections) for graphics connections and color connections.
- You can now reuse the same random value by linking one parameter to a random value node, and then others to that parameter. A new sample file 'Reusing random values' showing this added.
- The Group Arrange node can now be applied to selected elements only and move these to the front or back of the group.
- In all change nodes apply to random selection now lets you offset this random selection.
- Re-structured and cleaned up the preferences panel, removing some old redundant settings.
- Updates to manual and sample files (Find them in the Help menu).
- Fixes a bug with the Align node align group elements left and top.
- Fixes a bug where math nodes converted from other value nodes would not work properly.
- Fixes a bug where automatic spacing calculations would not update automatically when the artboard size was changed by a connected value node.
- Fixes interface problems for macOS 10.14 users with dark mode.
A new version of the node-based vector pattern and animation design application Patternodes has been released. The new version adds a bunch of small additions, fixes and improvements, and is now available as a free update for all users.Version 2.1.9 changes.
- The Arc wedge shape in the Element Shape Node can now be given an inner diameter.
- Rounded polygons and Star shapes in the Element Shape node can now get pointy negative rounding.
- Added support for relative adjustments in the Change Opacity and Change Stroke nodes.
- New context menu shortcuts on the Artboard node to apply preset artboard sizes.
- Improvements to node connection usability.
- Improvements to node placement when adding new nodes on connections.
- Fixes a bug with the Group Apply Function node, pivot distance mode for groups of element groups.
- Fixes a bug with incorrect first regeneration when toggling dynamic elements off and on in repeater nodes.
- Apple Hardened runtime security features.
Another update to Vectoraster 7 released today. The new version fixes a couple of bugs we found after the last update and adds the support for negative shape smoothing values, letting you make new pointy shapes. While it might seem like a small change it also tweaks the way the parameter value sliders adjust their value range dynamically, which we think will be a major improvements to working with the software.Changes in 7.3.7
- The Smoothing parameter for polygon point shapes (and more) now accepts negative values, letting you make new pointy shapes.
- Improved adaptive value ranges for parameter sliders.
- New setting to toggle GPU accelerated interface rendering on/off. Default is on for retina macs.
- Fixes a bug with launching Vectoraster by double-clicking some .VRaster files.