Vectoraster 8 version history
Submit your ideas and vote for new features in future versions.
Vectoraster 8 future development
Vectoraster 8 future development
Version 8.2.5 Released 2021-09-13
- You can now edit animation keyframes while the animation is running.
- You can now quickly revert values being edited by pressing Esc.
- Disabling a parameter that has an active animation track now also disables the animation track and adds a warning icon to it.
- Removing a source layer or pattern distortion that has animated parameters now also properly removes these animation tracks.
- Fixed a bug where removing the last source layer could leave an orphaned source settings panel.
- Fixed couple of issues in v8.2.3 and 8.2.4 with using source layer color for point stroke or fill.
- Changes to visibility toggle buttons for source layers and animation tracks to reduce interface clutter.
Version 8.2.4 Released 2021-07-20
- Fixes an issue with opening files with raster distortions in v 8.2.3.
- Fixes some interface button alignments on macOS 11.
Version 8.2.3 Released 2021-07-15
- Adding a new source image layer now opens a browse dialogue right away.
- Added a new Import source image menu item to quickly create a new source image layer.
- Improvemed handling of imported source image sizes when replacing a layer image.
- Added a new separate scale source layers option when changing the document artboard size.
- Improvements to tabbing between value fields and opening/closing interface panels.
- Document window size and position is now saved in VRaster files.
- Improved labels and tooltips to help make isometric raster patterns using the same spacing toggle.
- Improved interface panel animation performace.
Version 8.2.2 Released 2021-04-20
- Improved performance and stability during animation exports.
- Better previews of the animation during the animation export process.
- Better raster pattern panel previews when using large artboard sizes.
- Source layer actions button now show on hover as well as selection of the layer.
- Fix missing VRaster document icons on older versions of macOS (again).
Version 8.2.1 Released 2021-04-12
- Fixed source invert filter not working after the 8.2.0 update.
- Fix preview not updating correctly when a source layer is removed.
- Better raster pattern preview for varied density rasters.
- Fix text source layers not updating on the first click when changing font in the font panel.
- Adjustment of some dark mode text label colors.
Version 8.2.0 Released 2021-03-30
- New dithering raster patterns. Dynamic source based Floyd-Steinberg, Stucki and Sierra error diffusion dithering patterns and new Bayer 8x8 ordered dithering pattern.
- Improved support for imported SVG and EPS of custom point shapes exported from Affinity software.
- Added support for even-odd fill mode in imported of custom point shapes.
- Fixes an issue with document icons for some macOS 11 users.
- Fixed live raster updates while dragging sliders for some source parameters.
- Better handling of problems when importing custom vector point shapes from EPS/PDF/SVG files.
- Removed some redundant screen printing export settings.
- Some interface optimization.
Version 8.1.3 Released 2021-03-09
- Added button to re-center offset source layers.
- The artboard size dialogue now has added presets for current image source sizes as well as original sizes.
- Performance improvements for raster distortions and gradient source layers.
- Clarified and corrected a number of tooltips and help messages.
- Updates to the manual.
- Some small macOS 11 interface adjustments.
- Updated Sparkle version checking library.
Version 8.1.2 Released 2020-12-28
- Improved calculation progress updates for long regeneration processes.
- Improved handling of warnings when incompatible raster settings are selected so no raster can be rendered.
- Fixed some number formatting issues with export size fields when using comma as a thousands separator.
- Value fields should now correctly show comma as the decimal separator based on your system settings.
- Fixes a double regeneration bug after changing the artboard size.
- Removed a redundant search field from the Help menu
Version 8.1.1 Released 2020-12-22
- Optimized file loading.
- Fixes a bug with changing sizes in the export dialogue when using points or inches as the length units.
- Fixes a bug with auto-resampling of large source images causing them to be used at the wrong size in v8.1.0.
- Fixed a bug where images sources wouldn't properly update when toggling auto-resampling on/off.
Version 8.1.0 Released 2020-12-14
- SVG vector graphics export
- New Simple line point shape, simple short line with just stroke and no fill useful for stippling, plotting and etching applications
- Improved CSV-export that now includes point fill color RGBA components in the exported data.
- New export option to use preview raster opacity when exporting, to let you export the raster semi-transparent on top of the sources.
- Improved appearance of composited source layer previews while live editing source parameters.
- Fix preview rendering when raster preview opacity was lower than source preview opacity.
- Interface adjustments for macOS 11 (Big Sur).
- Update to Finder preview quick look component for VRaster files.
Version 8.0.5 Released 2020-11-19
- Apple Silicon native support.
- Improved performance when updating and compositing source layers.
- Improved SVG path importing, with support for matrix() group transforms often used by Affinity Designer.
- New presets menu in the artboard size change dialogue to quickly change to a preset or source image size.
- Fixes some interface panel animation glitches when enabling/disabling the Use source color fill/stroke settings.
- Exporting without changing any document export settings no longer marks the document as needing to be saved.
- Update to Sparkle updating library.
Version 8.0.4 Released 2020-11-11
- Fixes a bug where trying to add a new Bulge pattern distortion would instead add a Randomize distortion.
- Some layout changes to the raster spacing controls when using separate X/Y spacing.
- Added item in Help menu for the new system for feedback and voting on future development.
- More helpful error messages when entering incorrect license information.
- New method for logging technical warnings without relying on system log.
Version 8.0.3 Released 2020-10-23
- Added new 'Paste replace source image' Edit menu item to quickly replace the selected source layer image.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for the paste source image menu items.
- Fixed an issue with JPEG exports sometimes failing and causing problems with other exports after this.
- Made the raster-sources display slider more responsive to quick changes.
Version 8.0.2 Released 2020-10-01
- Improved editing animation keyframe values when using drag editing in the preview.
- Fixes an issue where enabling disabled animation tracks would not refresh the preview in some cases.
- Optimized rendering of composited source layer preview.
- Tweaks to preview zoom adjustments when opening/closing the animation panel.
- Fixes a 1px preview edge alignment issue at some zoom levels.
Version 8.0.1 Released 2020-09-21
- Setting a Gradient or Image source layer size height or width to a negative value now mirrors it.
- The progress bar for longer generation processes is now more prominent with a point counter along with rendering percent.
- Better handling when entering invalid math expressions in value fields.
- Adjustments to rendering of some interface elements.
- Correctly (don't) render Text source layers with zero size.
Version 8.0.0 Released 2020-09-01
Main changes and new features
- Animation support. Animate raster and source parameters and export the result to video or a sequence of frame files.
- New source layers model. Sources are now more like layers in other graphics software and can be moved, scaled and rotated individually and blended together.
- Apply file raster settings. You can now quickly apply all raster settings from a different VRaster file, while retaining the sources in the current file.
- Improved preview drag editing. Edit source layers, gradients, distortions or raster pattern parameters by dragging graphical handles in the preview.
- Advanced noise sources. New dynamic noise layers generating perlin or billowing noise you can then apply to any parameter across the raster.
- Secondary point transformations. You can now apply two separate dynamic scaling or rotations to raster points, for example adding randomization to a source-based value.
- Dark Mode interface support. Interface now adapts to system interface mode, and lets you switch between dark mode and light mode.
Additional changes and improvements
- Many improvements and changes to the interface to make it more compact and responsive.
- Measure mode (Darkness, Alpha or RGB/CMYK channels) is now set per parameter instead of per source, so different parameters can measure different channels from the same source.
- New shortcut in the parameter function menu to quickly swap min/max values, inverting any dynamic parameter.
- New simplified way of quickly setting point fill or stroke color based on sources.
- Sources - Raster display slider. Easily change preview display to show your sources, raster or both depending on what you're working with.
- New settings for default new document size and source layer.
- Improved source layer filtering, with blur, brightness, contrast and saturation adjustment for each source.
- New helpful warning messages explaining why certain combinations of parameter settings result in nothing being drawn.
- Moved and clarified settings for removing raster points based on size and/or variable chance.
- You can now use middle mouse button to drag and pan when zoomed in, including when drag editing other parameters.
- Export settings are now saved per file, so you can quickly reuse the settings you used last in a file.
- Separate vertical spacing is now more consistently used in different raster patterns.
- Offset and rotation of the random raster pattern is now consistent with offset and rotation of the other raster patterns.
- Variable raster pattern distortions can now be point index based as well as source based.
- Smoother new document handling, and a new setting not to open a new document at startup.
- CSV export now includes point rotation data and uses the user set length units.
- Improved memory management.