Patternodes 2 version history
Submit your ideas and vote for new features in future versions.
Patternodes 2 future development
Patternodes 2 future development
Version 2.4.4 Released 2021-02-23
- Fixed some stability issues drag-moving complex font character elements.
- Restored support for legacy macOS 10.11 (a bit experimental).
- Fixed incorrectly offset node preview of elements with offset pivot points.
- Fixed Repeat Random node not hiding/showing some parameter fields correctly when using artboard size and no minimum spacing.
- Apply Graphics node now has a random seed field when applyin to removal chance.
Version 2.4.3 Released 2021-02-11
- Improved preview updating frequency when rendering complex output and animation previews.
- Node value fields and formula fields now support the % modulus operator (ex: 10 % 4 will output 2).
- Node value fields and formula fields now support the round() function (ex: round(1.9) will output 2).
- Change nodes Selected Single apply to mode now loops around to restart at the first element if the offset is greater than the number or elements, consistent with other counted selections.
- Fixed Change Replace node not allowing Each or Selected apply modes even though the input is a group.
- More small interface adjustments on macOS 11.
- Updated a number of outdated tooltips and help texts.
Version 2.4.2 Released 2021-01-04
- Some interface fixes on macOS 11 (Big Sur).
- Fixed some number formatting issues with value fields when using comma as a thousands separator.
- Value fields should now correctly show comma as the decimal separator based on your system settings.
- Made trial mode watermark a little more subtle.
- Removed a redundant search field from the Help menu.
Version 2.4.1 Released 2020-12-04
- Preview rendering scale fixes on retina screens.
- Changes to .pnds file format for improved future compatibility.
- Update to Finder quick look preview component for .pnds files.
Version 2.4.0 Released 2020-11-30
- Improved Random repeater node with new radial mode and option to set a minimum distance between repeated elements.
- Gradual removal. Apply Function and Apply Graphics nodes can now be used to apply a gradual removal chance to elements.
- Improved SVG exports with greatly reduced file-size using svg-symbols for images and embedding of imported SVG elements.
- Improved SVG path importing, with support for matrix() group transforms often used by Affinity Designer.
- Apple Silicon native support.
- Fixes a bug where the little pivot point markers would not show correctly in the Change Pivot node previews.
- Fixes a bug with some invalid connections not being removed after replacing nodes.
- Fixes a bug where replacing a change nodes with group nodes could lead to an invalid apply-to mode in the group node.
- Update to Sparkle updating library.
Version 2.3.7 Released 2020-11-13
- New export size settings lets you easily export animations or graphics at a different size than the current artboard.
- Added item in Help menu for the new system for feedback and voting on future development.
- Fixes a bug with some export settings not being properly saved per document.
- Fixes a bug with the Group Select node preview sometimes not showing the mask element when it should.
- Fixes a bug where disconnected nodes didn't properly update their previews.
- The node replace/add context menus now include the node type level for clarity even if there's only one possible type.
- Added a new warning message to completely disconnected nodes explaining they won't do anything.
- New method for logging technical warnings without relying on system log.
Version 2.3.6 Released 2020-10-26
- Apply Function and Apply Graphics now also have an Inside clipping option.
- Fixes a bug where Inside clipping transform option would sometimes be hidden, even if the input graphics was clipped.
- Fixes a bug where the Apply to mode selector would sometimes be incorrectly disabled in Group: Apply function nodes.
- Stability improvements for changing connected node types using the Replace node menu.
- More helpful feedback messages when entering incorrect license information.
Version 2.3.5 Released 2020-09-15
- Value field hover controls are now hidden while dragging connections.
- Added new Nodes menu item to toggle node grid snap on/off.
- Added new Display menu item to toggle selected node element outlines on/off.
- Fixes some pixel gap issues with the finder Quick Look previews of repeating pattern .pnds files.
- Fixes incorrect pivot location of elements after offsetting content inside of clipped element groups.
- Added deprecation warnings to the artboard node mirroring settings that will be removed in a future update. Please use the Repeat Mirror node instead.
Version 2.3.4 Released 2020-09-09
- New 'Inside clipping' transform mode for Transform and Randomize nodes makes it easy to transform the content elements with a clipping mask.
- Pressing Esc while editing value fields now reverts their value.
- Improvements to parsing math expressions in value fields.
- Fixed a crash when adding an unconnected Make seamless node.
- Some under the hood improvements to the node reference help window.
Version 2.3.3 Released 2020-08-27
- Improved quality for exported h264 compressed video files.
- Some minor macOS 11 compatibility changes.
- Added a setting controlling if a new document should be opened at startup.
- Fixed some issues with exporting to filenames with spaces in them.
- Fixed Little Snitch internet access policy so it now properly describes the purpose of update and license check connections.
- Fixed incorrect error message when entering incorrect license details.
- Improved technical info and error logs for support and bug reports.
- Updated Sparkle updating framework.
Version 2.3.2 Released 2020-06-18
- Support for h.264 codec when exporting video.
- Last used export settings are now saved per file instead of globally.
- Fixes a bug that caused the first couple of frames to be skipped when an animation preview was started.
- Fixes offset in the preview of the Make Seamless node.
- Fixes some layout issues with the built in node reference.
- Optimized opening files.
- Better handling and error mesages in case of network errors when checking the license.
- Improved feedback when changing node parameters with Auto-Refresh turned off.
Version 2.3.1 Released 2020-06-01Changes and improvements
- Fixes flickering or lack of updates in the main preview in some situations.
- Fixes a bug where the selection markers wouldn't update properly after deleting multiple nodes.
- Fixes node previews not updating correctly when graphic input is removed or the node is disabled.
- Node element caching is now always on instead of being a performance option.
- Adds deprecation warnings shown when using some legacy node types, along with a new option to turn these warnings off.
- Improvements to the Feedback dialogue technical info logs
Version 2.3.0 Released 2020-04-30Changes and improvements
- Greatly improved performance especially for working with animations and files with many elements.
- New Plateau Animated value function making it easier to make interesting animations where a value transitions between two constant levels.
- New Randomize Deep Change option in Group Randomize and Randomize Color nodes for applying individual changes to all sub elements without needing to flatten the group first.
- You can now rename Color nodes just like Value nodes.
- New setting for default new document size.
- New setting to include a set of default nodes or not in new documents.
- Improvements to editing values of linked node parameters.
- Connection context menu now shows total number of sub elements in multi-level groups.
- Fixes fullscreen preview being incorrectly scaled on retina screens.
- Fixes a potential hang when importing some legacy Patternodes 1 files.
- Fixes long delay when closing files with a lot of pattern elements.
- Fixes importing legacy Patternodes 1 files Randomize and Randomize Color nodes.
- Improved performance importing legacy Patternodes 1 files.
- Fixes a bug where the bottom pattern preview view would be the wrong size after closing the separate preview panel.
- Fixes a bug where drag offset markers wouldn't be properly updated when opening or closing the separate preview panel.
- Fixes incorrect total update times in the render info panel.
Version 2.2.91 Released 2020-03-16
- This is a hotfix patch to the original 2.2.9 update, fixing a bug where newly created unconnected nodes would not be added correctly to the node graph.
Version 2.2.9 Released 2020-03-11
- You can now pan around the node graph by dragging with middle mouse button.
- Improved memory management.
- Fixes animation export as numbered PDF files.
- Fixes problem with properly loading some connections to Change node selection parameters.
- Fixes Element index menu node icons being the wrong size.
Version 2.2.8 Released 2020-01-22
- Added/fixed support for importing many more image formats, including photoshop psd, tga, raw and more.
- Improvements to the Finder Quick Look file .pnds previews.
- Improved interface performance.
- Additional license information is now available from the About window.
- Improved connection security and handling of network problems during license syncing.
- Rendering info statistics panel is now an overlay in the main preview instead os a separate panel.
Version 2.2.7 Released 2019-11-08
- Improved Text element node with support for dynamic value based text and a new Text box mode with for better aligning and layout control. NOTE: This may mean some layout changes are needed for files using the old text node multi-line mode.
- Improved Clipping mask node now has an invert option that lets you use what's outside the clipping mask instead, and can be used to remove existing clipping paths.
- Math nodes now resize automatically to fit longer formulas.
- Fixes a bug where clicking out of the Artboard node size fields would revert values instead of applying changes.
- Leaving value fields empty now set them to 0 instead of showing a formula parsing error.
- Fixes a couple of issues with importing legacy Patternodes 1 files.
- Fixes bug with renaming artboard layers in some situations.
- Fixed a bug where the animation duration would initially be incorrect when loading longer animation files.
- You can now access pictures from your Photos albums when browsing to import graphics.
- Improved performance.
Version 2.2.6 Released 2019-09-24
- Artboard layer management. You can now add, remove, rename and rerorder the layers in the Artboard node.
- Fixes a bug causing node connections to render incorrectly on macOS 10.13.
- Fixes and improvements to the Node reference interface.
- Fixes a bug with the menu items for selecting linked nodes were disabled.
Version 2.2.5 Released 2019-09-09
- New Group Pack node letting you pack elements in a group horizontally or vertically with a set margin.
- New Group Distribute node letting you distribute elements in a group evenly horizontally or vertically.
- Fixes some graphical glitches in the preview view on high zoom on macOS 10.14.
- Better feedback when value fields fail to parse expressions or parameter formulas.
- Fixes some bugs with preview display scale after exporting.
- Smoother opening/closing of the separate preview panel.
- More improved node warning messages and warnings interface components.
- Better handling of problems when loading corrupted/unsupported and legacy files.
- Fixes some incorrect descriptions in the node reference.
Version 2.2.4 Released 2019-08-20
- The Grid repeater node now offers a grid height output socket in hex grid mode to make it easier to make seamless hex grids.
- The Element list node now supports input of up to 20 different elements instead of 10.
- Improvements to pasting/dragging graphics into the node graph.
- Fixes a bug where multiple pasted/imported graphics with the same name could be replaced with the same graphic when loading a file.
- Fixes some selection outline problems.
- Fixes a bug where exporting with a transparent background could instead export a solid black background.
Version 2.2.3 Released 2019-07-15
- New Group Explode node A new node that makes it easy to move elements in a group away from or towards the group pivot point.
- Better warnings UI Improved inline interface for node warning messages and more warnings.
- Smart initial node values Value and color nodes created by dragging from a parameter input socket now start out with the socket value.
- Fixed a bug with element nodes created by dragging from Artboard node sockets getting double connections.
- Added link to the lost code form in license code entry interface.
Version 2.2.2 Released 2019-05-22Patternodes now requires macOS 10.11 or later.
- Quicker node creation You can now add new nodes by simply draggin out a connection from any node socket and releasing.
- Repeater nodes dynamic offsets (Repeat Transform, Grid and Radial) now work better with dynamic offset/scaling/rotation parameter values.
- You can now zoom in the preview with trackpad pinch gestures.
- Improvements to retaining node connections when changing node types.
- Fixed some undo/redo bugs related to changing connections.
- Fixed Artboard node set size preset menu shortcuts.
- Fixed Artboard node background opacity not updating correctly with connected values.
- Apple application notarization (New Apple security requirements).
- Improvements to update checking.
- Updates to sample files. (Available from the Help menu)
Version 2.2.1 Released 2019-04-12
- Drag and drop support for importing files into the node editor or into an existing Element Import node.
- Left-click now also brings up the connection context menus, with better visual hover feedback.
- Fixes and improvements to dynamic element repeater functionality.
- You can now zoom the preview with option (alt) scroll wheel, and you can scroll a little beyond the edge of your artboard.
- The node connection preview now shows number of generations for dynamic elements.
- Fixes some undoing/redoing bugs.
- Improved performance and memory management.
- The Custom Loop repeater node is deprecated and will soon be removed (use other repeater dynamic elements and indexes instead).
Version 2.2.0 Released 2019-01-31
- Improvements to adding and removing nodes on value or color connections.
- Improvements to connection preview (right-click connections) for graphics connections and color connections.
- You can now reuse the same random value by linking one parameter to a random value node, and then others to that parameter. A new sample file 'Reusing random values' showing this added.
- The Group Arrange node can now be applied to selected elements only and move these to the front or back of the group.
- In all change nodes apply to random selection now lets you offset this random selection.
- Re-structured and cleaned up the preferences panel, removing some old redundant settings.
- Updates to manual and sample files (Find them in the Help menu).
- Fixes a bug with the Align node align group elements left and top.
- Fixes a bug where math nodes converted from other value nodes would not work properly.
- Fixes a bug where automatic spacing calculations would not update automatically when the artboard size was changed by a connected value node.
- Fixes interface problems for macOS 10.14 users with dark mode.
Version 2.1.9 Released 2019-01-23
- The Arc wedge shape in the Element Shape Node can now be given an inner diameter.
- Rounded polygons and Star shapes in the Element Shape node can now get pointy negative rounding.
- Added support for relative adjustments in the Change Opacity and Change Stroke nodes.
- New context menu shortcuts on the Artboard node to apply preset artboard sizes.
- Improvements to node connection usability.
- Improvements to node placement when adding new nodes on connections.
- Fixes a bug with the Group Apply Function node, pivot distance mode for groups of element groups.
- Fixes a bug with incorrect first regeneration when toggling dynamic elements off and on in repeater nodes.
- Apple Hardened runtime security features.
Version 2.1.8 Released 2018-11-22
- Improvements to Finder previews and thumbnails for Patternodes .pnds files.
- Fixes some problems with SVG exports.
- Fixes a rare network full version unlocking bug.
Version 2.1.7 Released 2018-11-02
- Performance improvements with new multithreaded rendering backend.
- Improvements to preview zooming and panning.
- You can now click/drag in animated value node graphs to change the current animation time.
- New and updated sample files (accessed from Help menu).
- Fixes some bugs with element clipping path rendering.
- Fixes some bugs with group-index based generation.
- Fixes some control clipping bugs on macOS 10.14.
Version 2.1.6 Released 2018-09-19
- Imported SVG image elments can now be used in Image mode as well as Path mode.
- Further improved SVG vector path importing.
- Updates to license entry and trial-mode interfaces.
Version 2.1.5 Released 2018-08-29
- New Repeat Mirror node that mirrors and clips elements to with one or more mirror planes.
- Improved SVG vector path importing.
- Exported MPEG4 animations now get the default file extesion .mp4 instead of .mepeg4.
- Fixes some problems caused by setting a 0x0 artboard size.
- Fixes node preview display bug with element performance caching disabled.
- Improved diagnostics for some installation and network problems.
Version 2.1.3 Released 2018-06-28
- Fixed selection outline misalignments on retina macs.
- Improved support for macOS 10.11 and earlier.
Version 2.1.2 Released 2018-06-21
- Math node formulas now let you edit constants in formulas using the hover control sliders, steppers etc like regular values.
- Improvements to node index selection controls.
- Improvements to version checking and updating.
- Improvements to purchase/unlock dialogue.
- Fixed a bug with Group Apply Function node element selection offsets.
- Fixed a bug with adding clipping masks to transformed element groups.
Version 2.1.1 Released 2018-06-07
- Selection outlines New setting to show an outline in the preview on elements created or modified by the nodes selected in the node editor.
- Fixes a bug with the sample file links in the node reference help.
- Fixes a bug where files with index-based parameters would sometimes not show correctly at first when they are opened.
Version 2.1.0 Released 2018-05-31
- New Element Index node lets you access different repeater indexe values (like Row, Column etc) when using repeaters with dynamic elements enabled.
- New Align node lets you align elements in relation to the artboard or internally in a group.
- New Element list node allowing you to use different alternative elements in a dynamic repeater pattern.
- Improved Value List and Color List nodes, with built in element index modes and a new index offset parameter great for animating random or index-based value sets.
- Node connections now have drag handles at both ends by default, and there a new setting to control what ends have handles.
- The Repeat Transform node now has an Auto spacing mode, calculating spacing based on count and total repetition area similar to the Repeat Grid node.
- Option to skip frames in animation previews when rendering is slow.
- Math formula parameter fields can now be edited while a preview animation is running, just like value fields.
- Fixes a bug that could cause the value parameter hover controls to disappear in some situations.
- Fixes a bug that could cause tinted bitmap image elements to render at low resolution.
- Fixes a bug with pivot point adjustments for element groups.
Version 2.0.5 Released 2018-05-07
- Adds SVG format export support, including animated SVG export of animations(!).
- Improved image quality (lower compression) in MOV and MPEG4 animation exports.
- Fixes a bug with centering arc path elements in the Change Pivot node.
- Fixes a bug with the Apply Function node horizontal/vertical mode used on rotated groups.
Version 2.0.3 Released 2018-04-23
- Fixes a scaling bug in animation MOV, MPEG4 and GIF exports on retina macs.
- Improved node illustrations and descriptions in the built-in node reference guide.
- Some smaller fixes and adjustments in node interfaces.
Version 2.0.2 Released 2018-04-02
- Fixes some stability problems.
- Fixes a bug with the Make Seamless repeater in Demo mode on retina displays.
- Fixes a bug where pasting copied nodes from Patternodes 1 could cause problems.
- Improved node editor scrolling when dragging close to the edge.
Version 2.0.1 Released 2018-03-27
Version 2.0.1 fixes some initial bugs in the 2.0 release.
Version 2.0.0 Released 2018-03-23Main changes in Patternodes 2
- Fewer more versitile nodes. Many node types have been combined into more capable ones. This will let you do more with fewer nodes and make it easier to try new things and play around with the software without having to replace or add new nodes.
- Improved usability. Many improvements to make the basic tasks of editing values and working with nodes and connections smoother and quicker.
- New artboard node with layers. The old document and output nodes have been combined into a single Artboard output node with multiple output layers along with artboard size and settings.
- Language and naming changes. Many concepts have been renamed to be more in line with industry standards and/or common language to make them easier to understand. For example, the old Transform nodes are now called Change nodes and the old Array Elements are now simply called Groups.
- Change node apply-modes. Most of the nodes changing graphics (like changing color or transformation) now have built in support to toggle between applying their change to the group, each individual element in the group, or a selected subset of elements in the group. This replaces many array operation nodes and removes the need for a lot of splitting and combining you had to do in Patternodes 1.
- More powerful nodes. More or less every node, for creating shapes, transforming or repeating elements have had little additions and improvements to enable new uses and improve existing functionality.
- Improved animation exports. Support for exporting longer animations at higher resolutions in more formats.
- You can now tap space to quickly play/pause animations.
- You can now use your mouse scroll wheel to quickly edit value fields.
- Improved Seamless lines node, with more options to set spacing, angle, count and calculating a seamless repeating artboard size.
- New value round node.
- Connection editing is now more consistent, dragging from an output socket always creates a new connection, existing connections can be grabbed from the end socket connection.
- More math functions, including acos, asin, round, ceil, floor and abs are now supported and properly evaluated when entered in any value field or math node expression.
- Patternodes is now self-contained with the manual and all sample files residing in the application bundle instead of as external files.
- Improved color matching on export, preview rendering and color picker eyedropper selection.
- Updated Sparkle software update features.
- Fixed element size calculations for clipped elements.
- Many more bug-fixes large and small.